Tuesday, May 10, 2011
Top 10 Tuesday...Running Must Haves
Everyone asks me..."How can you run so many miles?", "How can you get up so EARLY to run?", "How do you find the time to run?". The plain and simple truth is that I really just LOVE TO RUN. I HAVE to run. If I don't run, I feel all discombobulated(how's that for a word?). I find the time because I get up before anyone else in the house is up, and I'm not needed for anything(much easier to get out of the house that way). I didn't always run so many miles every day, I've just built up to it. But here are a few things I've learned in my 20+ years of running to help me along the way.
Top 10 Running Must-Haves...
1. Music...I know I've said this before, but music is ESSENTIAL for a run, any run. It has to be music you love, preferably something with a good upbeat rhythm...think Rocky or Black Eyed Peas. I change my playlists frequently so I don't get bored with the same old tunes.
2. Running shoes...This may be the most important. If you're a beginner, and don't want to spend the big bucks on running shoes, don't! There's some really good shoes out there for a decent price...but people, they MUST BE RUNNING SHOES. Not walking shoes, not cross training, not whatever-else-you-like-because-the-color-is-cool, but REAL, HONEST, RUNNING SHOES. Running is not like any other activity. If you don't have running shoes, you WILL GET INJURED(and then you won't like running anymore because you got hurt, and you'll think running is stupid, and you can't understand how ANYONE could POSSIBLY LIKE TO RUN!)...just get a pair of running shoes.
3. Motivation...Whether it's to lose 5 or 50 pounds, or maybe you want to sign up for a fun run or a run to "support a cause", or maybe you just want to look better in your clothes...whatever motivates you to lace up those shoes and get you out the door.
4. A good sports bra...for the ladies(and obviously for the LADIES-men, I don't know what you guys need to keep the "junk" in place). You need one that holds and compresses everything in very tightly...don't want any wiggly-jiggly-bouncers. When I was nursing I had to wear two(yes 2!) sports bras...scary sight, people.
5. Shorts that don't chafe. Think dry wick material...material that wicks the sweat away from your body. I like actual running shorts with an "underwear" liner in them...soooo comfy.
6. Water...duh...pretty sure I don't even need this on my list...BUT when out on a long run, you need to make sure that you know where some water fountains are, or carry a water bottle with you(which isn't really necessary unless you're running for 75 minutes or longer-or it's a really hot day).
7. Now this one is NOT NECESSARY...AT ALL. But I use my Blackberry with the iMapMyRun feature with the GPS on it. It tracks everything...pace, minutes, miles...save the workout and once it's saved you can log onto your computer and keep track of all your workouts. Really fun for a running geek like me. If you notice on the side of my blog, I have a widget that tracks the miles I've run for the day, the week, and the year. Seriously, though...not necessary.
8. Rewards...once you've hit your goal (weight/distance/fun-run-accomplished) you MUST reward yourself. I personally choose non-food rewards(because I figure I work so hard and log all these miles, why mess it up with a double-decker-brownie-sundae with extra hot fudge and whipped cream on top...if I really want one of those I just eat it-a perk to running a lot of miles), but seriously I usually use clothing as a reward, or new shoes, or new songs for my MP3 player.
9. Sunscreen...for hot, sunny days. And don't forget your shins...this is the number 1 missed area when putting it on.
10. Support...from family and friends, from other "running mamas" out there...it's so good to know you're not alone...and sometimes it is SO. HARD. TO. GET. OUT. THE. DOOR. But when you do, it is so worth it!!
P.S. When out running(or walking for that matter), and someone says,"Morning!", or "Hello!", don't ignore them, say hi back...it's the nice thing to do!
So runners, did I leave anything out? What are your favorite running must-haves? I'd love to know!
*This is also a Friday link-up with Bees With Honey's Bruna. You're supposed to link up your favorite post of the week, this is my 2nd favorite post of the week. My favorite post of the week was Love Letter to my Kids, but Blogger is being dumb and is doing maintenance(or something) so this one will have to do for now. Come back later...to see if Blogger is still being dumb...or not.